Saturday, May 25, 2013

HAGNA : I REALLY MISS THIS PLACE

Missing someone or something is a natural feeling anyone and anybody could have. I miss a lot of things. I miss a lot of people. But I always hope that someday and sometime in the future, I would surely see them.

One of the places that I really miss is hagna. Hagna is our native term for a ricefield. I live in the Eastern part of Visayas region of the Philippines. People are called here "Waray-waray" (none in English). We also speak the Waray-waray language. It's like a combination of three dialects, Ilonggo and Cebuano and Tagalog. Cebuano is the nearest of it, a vernacular of Cebu City, the "Queen City of the South" and the "Oldest City" of the Philippines.


 This hagna above shows planted rice almost near for harvest. It was taken in March of last year. I asked my parents if I could harvest them in advance but to no avail. :D

People will plow the hagna twice a year. The purpose is to break and loosen the soil. Farmers are busy doing during the months of November, December, April and May.

 (Photo Credit : Lolette Caimoy) This photo was taken last April 2013, a hagna after harvest near our house)

No comments:

Post a Comment